WE are now confused - Who is telling the Truth

Statements of:

Aamir Sohail S/o Shaikh Mohammed Ali (Recorded on 8th October, 1998)

I am in possession of the original affidavit sworn by Ata-ur-Rehman which I produce before this commission. I made a statement to the press that I was not afraid of telling the truth and I reiterate that this match-fixing business was going on and some players who were not indulging in the same like myself, Ata-ur-Rehman, Aaquib Javed and Rashid Latif were being constantly harassed by some players and outsiders.

During the Singer trophy in Sri Lanka, Saleem Parvez came to my room and entered into some talk with me. I however told him that whatever he was planning was not going to happen as far as I was concerned. When we were going out to bat Saeed Anwar said, 'I have heard something that the match is fixed therefore, we should bat carefully'. I enquired the reason. He said we are going to lose. Anwar was batting very well. A message came from the dressing room through Zahid Fazal, twelfth man, and immediately Anwar retired, saying he was not feeling well which came as a surprise to me. During the South Africa tour, Anwar was in good form and was not making runs. When I and Aaquib Javed were sitting with him in the hotel, he said he knew he wasn't  getting runs because he had taken money for fixing the match and that it was a curse from God, because even after taking oath on the Quran, he had taken money.... We told him that he should pray for forgiveness and pay some 'Kafara'.

During the World Cup ('95), when we landed in Delhi, Akram went to a night-club and it was on the same day when he was injured. I asked Akram that we should talk about tour strategy and he should see a physiotherapist. However, the next day the physiotherapist told me he was looking for Akram who was not available. Two days before the match I asked Wasim whether he was fit enough to play. He replied in the affirmative and said that on no occasion was he going to miss such a crucial match. It was strange that before such an important match there was no team meeting although generally it is done before all matches. I again asked Wasim Akram and he told me he was playing after taking some  injections. He never indicated he was not playing. It was only 5/10 minutes before the toss that I was informed that Akram was not playing. The morale of the team went down. We had no time to plan strategy. He told us that time that he had an injury on his ribs but in the newspaper he stated he had suffered a shoulder injury. Dan Kiesel told me the injection he gave Akram would keep the pain away even if the flesh had been cut off. I was further informed by Kiesel that after he gave the injections to Akram he told me (sic) that the pain had travelled to another place which looked very strange.

Before the Australasia cup final in '94, I received a call from an Indian book-maker whose name I do not know that he wanted to see me. As a cricketer I had to be polite to my fans. Therefore I allowed him. When he came, he offered me Rs 25 lakh for getting out before scoring 10 runs and also getting Saeed Anwar run out. This offer was spurned by me. I went out for dinner and when I came back there was a team meeting on in which it appeared that certain other players had also been offered money. We therefore decided to take oath on the Quran before the match that each one of us would play to the best of his abilities.

During the second Sahara cup match, Akram was captain. When we were fielding, he went away for a while and being vice-captain, I took over. The wicket was taking turn. I employed the fielders around the batsmen and succeeded in getting two wickets. When Akram came back, he was very angry and asked me what the hell are you doing. I said 'I am trying to win the match and have taken two wickets for you'. He was very angry. I was told by Aaquib Javed that he was offered a car which he refused but Waqar Younus had taken the car.

Rashid Latif was the world's best wicketkeeper but he was dropped and so was the case with Basit Ali and Ata-ur-Rehman. Ata-ur-Rehman was judged the best bowler against India in 1994. He was dropped in the Sri Lanka tour which was astonishing.

It was for the first time during the Christchurch match against New Zealand in '94 that I heard about match-fixing. Majid Khan was very upset and he banned telephone calls of all players. It was the same match about which At-ur-Rehman told that he was paid by Akram to bowl badly. Many strange things happened during the match. It was a bowler-friendly wicket and the ball was swinging around and we got out very cheaply and at one time the other side was 45 runs for three wickets. It was surprising that I was asked to bowl on that wicket, though it was suited to fast bowlers.

In 1994, I was in very good form and was scoring lots of runs. However, at many times I was run out mainly due to the call made by other players. In the second final of the Mandela trophy, I was run out on 71. The other batsman at the crease was Ijaz Ahmed who had made the call. During the match at Sharjah, I was not feeling well but Akram asked me to play. I told him I can open the innings if we bat first and if we have to bat after the fielding sufficient time had to be given to me to rest... and thereafter I was promised that I shall be batting at a lower position. Surprisingly, when we came back from fielding I was ordered to open the innings. I reminded Akram of his promise but he was adamant. I scored 1/2 runs and got out because I could not move my foot. This match was against England.

There came a time when we were in a winning position. However, strangely enough instead of Moin Khan and Azhar Mahmood who were in good form, Akram promoted himself in the batting order. He however scored 4 runs in 19 deliveries. Pakistan lost that match by 8 runs. It was the fifth match against England in the Singer trophy. Adam Hollioake, English captain, came out with the statement that he was approached by bookmakers for fixing the matches. Saleem Parvez told me he had paid money to Salim Malik, Mushtaq Ahmed, Inzamam and Waqar. This disclosure was made by him in the presence of Rashid Latif.

Majid Khan Chief Executive Officer, PCB I produce a written statement which is duly signed by me and everything contained therein is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. It is not possible for one or two players to fix matches without involving others. There are large-scale rumours which lead me to the conclusion that other members of the team were also involved. After the Quadrangular matches, I confronted Haroon Rashid and later Akram. (I told them) their strategy was poor-instead of sending in-form batsmen at the top order, they sent out-of-form batsmen. Akram replied he was not aware who was in-form and who was out-of-form (or) that he was committing any mistake.

After the West Indies series which we won, we went to Sharjah. If we look at the score-sheet of Sharjah which I produce we will find that the same mistake i.e. sending out-of-form batsmen at the top order was repeated. In the match against the West Indies, Akram went to bat ahead of Azhar Mahmood and Moin Khan. The same was the case in the match against Sri Lanka, which slowed down the game. I went to Sharjah for a couple of days and confronted Haroon Rashid with these mistakes. His answer was that if the captain was unwilling to win the match, what could the coach do? Akram had not played during the entire summer season due to a shoulder operation. Prior to the tournament he had played only one Test. Against South Africa in which Azhar Mahmood had scored lots of runs he had failed. But Akram batted ahead of Azhar.

In my view, those who are found guilty of match-fixing and betting must be dealt with in a manner which could set an example; those against whom there are suspicions should be investigated about their assets. We shall at the board level provide details of the money which was paid to the players from which we can have a fair idea of their assets and receipts. The eyes of cricket-playing countries are focused on Pakistan as to how this matter is being dealt with and that they will also follow suit if need be. We can be the leaders in this field.
Go to top

Aaquib Javed S/o Chaudhary Abdul Jabbar (Recorded on 26th September, 1998)

In South Africa Basit Ali and Rashid Latif announced their retirement as according to them some players were involved in match-fixing and betting. They had specifically accused Salim Malik, the then captain, of match-fixing. I had received a telephonic call in 1994 from some anonymous person from Sri Lanka asking me to contact Saleem Parvez, who was allegedly a bookmaker and receive a sum of Rs 50 lakh and a vehicle from him. After the team had returned, I had come to know that some of the players had taken vehicles and at my persuasion two of them had returned. Out of these two, one was Waqar Younus. I do not know others who might have taken cars. Hanif Kentbury, a bookmaker from Karachi, came to South Africa when our team had been touring there. He was seen mixing with the players. I had received a message, though not direct, from Akram that so long as he was captain I would not play for Pakistan. I did not play subsequently for Pakistan. I did not enquire from Akram about this. Both I and Aamir Sohail had suggested during the team meeting that players should take an oath on the holy Quran that they would not indulge in betting and match-fixing. Dan Kiesel, doctor, attached to the team is a very honest person and after the defeat of Pakistan at Bangalore in the quarter-finals Intikhab Alam had suggested to him that he should give statement that he was a party to the scandal. In my view though I have no positive proof but there is match-fixing and betting prreviewent in the Pakistani team. Generally the players about whom it is stated they are involved in match-fixing and betting are Malik and Akram. I don't know anything about Ijaz.
Go to top

Ata Ur Rehman S/o Talib Hussain (Recorded on 10th December, 1998)

I reiterate that the statement which I made earlier before the commission was correct. Earlier, I had given an affidavit voluntarily and of my own accord. Earlier, when my statement was recorded, Khalid Mahmood, chairman pcb, was present and therefore I could not say everything. Now I wish to make a supplementary statement to put the record straight. My statement before the probe committee was true and correct to the effect that Akram had himself given me money to play badly. While I was in England, Akram prevailed upon me to give an affidavit to the effect that the earlier affidavit given by me was under coercion and influence. At that time I was in Newcastle and was asked by Akram to come over to Manchester where he threatened me with dire consequences and said that he was much stronger than me in Pakistan, upon which I succumbed to his pressure. I was thereupon provided an air ticket from Newcastle to Manchester and back by Akram which was charged to his credit card. I am producing a part of the air ticket as also the copy of the affidavit which I had signed. The affidavit was prepared by the lawyer of Akram and got signed by me. Before making the statement before the commission I was advised by Khalid Mahmood to retract my statement which I had made before the senate committee and earlier affidavit. My original affidavit is lying with Khalid Mahmood. When we came back to Pakistan from New Zealand Akram gave me Rs 100,000 and promised to pay the remaining amount if I continued indulging in match-fixing. Thereafter my mother fell ill and my sister was operated upon and my conscience pricked me with the result that I stopped becoming a party to it.
Go to top

Basit Ali S/o Abid Ali (Recorded on 19th September, 1998)

I was a member of the team from '93 to '95. In '94 there was a tournament in Sharjah... Pakistan came into the final. There was a rest day before the final. At 8 am I received a call from somebody who named himself Raqeeb that if I got out for less than 10 runs he would pay me Rs 10 lakh. He was speaking in Urdu. I refused him. He said he will ring me again and I should think over the matter. I informed Intikhab Alam. We went for practice and then came back about 1 pm. I received a call from Intikhab that I should come to his room. At that time Malik was captain. He disclosed he had received calls from Karachi and Lahore and the Pakistan Board that Pakistan was going to lose the match. All the players were called and asked to swear on the holy Quran that none of us is involved in match-fixing. There was a prize money of $10,000 for the runners-up. When we went to the ground Alam told us he had bet $10,000 on Pakistan winning the match. We won that match. I scored 57. When we were in South Africa, I and Moin Khan went to the reception to collect our keys. Moin Khan asked me whether I knew a person who was standing there. I said no. Moin Khan said that man was Hanif Kadburi, renowned bookmaker. He went in the lift to the floor where our team was staying. Although we tried to see as to whose room he went in but we could not as he went to the other side. I may state here that before all the matches we used to put our hands on the Holy Quran and take the oath that we will play to the best of our ability. Then there was a team meeting in which Aaquib Javed complained to Intikhab Alam that bookmakers were coming to rooms of the players and that we should take some steps. However, Ijaz protested and said he could not be asked not to see old friends. This led to an altercation between Aaquib Javed and Ijaz and the meeting had to be dispersed. We played the final in Johannesburg. I did not play that match as I was dropped. I went to the dressing room after practice and heard some quarrel going on. While I was entering I met Salim Malik who was leaving the room. I then saw the whole team leave in different groups of two or three individuals. I met Intikhab Alam who told me that there had been a fight between Rashid Latif and Salim Malik. Latif had asked Salim Malik to take an oath on the Quran before going for the toss. However, Salim Malik went directly... for the toss. This led to an altercation. Later on, Ijaz and Waqar joined on the sides of Malik and Rashid respectively. Akram intervened and stopped the fight. When the team played the match the captain was not parting with any instructions to anyone. When as the 12th man I went along with the figures to the captain I was asked to go away as he said he did not require any information. We lost that final. Later on, Alam said no one will be allowed to leave the dressing room till such time that there is a conciliation in the whole team. After great efforts we managed to persuade Malik to reconcile with Rashid. From '92 to '95 our team gave excellent performance but after '96 the performance was very poor. It is absolutely false that I made some statement before Intikhab Alam confessing that I indulged in betting or match-fixing. It is also wrong that I retired because of the betting or match-fixing. As a matter of fact, circumstances created by the captain and the management were such that I had no option but to resign. Our team was divided into various groups after 1995. One comprising Malik, Ijaz, Akram Raza, Ata-ur-Rehman and Akram and the other of Inzamam, myself, Mushtaq Ahmed and Waqar.

Go to top

Bobby Simpson (Recorded on 18th January, 1995)

AS you are aware I am most concerned about the gambling and felt string enough about it to hold a private meeting with David Richards in Lahore after the final test match.

I reported at length to David the approaches that were made to our players and we discussed this in great detail. I requested the meeting with David as he is the Executive Director of the ICC and I feel action should be taken about the increase in gambling.

On the evening of October 1st, the night before the last day of the first test, Salim Malik, Pakistan Captain, approached one of our bowlers and offered an enormous bribe if he and one other bowler were prepared to bowl poorly the next day and throw the match. Obviously this was refused. It is interesting that the next day Pakistan did win the game in a sensational finish.

October 20, at the President of Pakistan's dinner, Malik again approached the same Australian bowler and once again offered a huge amount if he and three other Australian players threw the match. Once again the offer was refused. Two days later Pakistan beat Australia easily and after the match Malik said, "Pity you didn't accept my offer as you have lost anyway".

After our arrival in Pakistan from Sri Lanka the press published reports that the Pakistan team had been accused of accepting bribes in Colombo to throw game. The BCCP said that they would investigate, but we didn't hear anymore about this matter. The question of bribes and gambling was frequently mentioned to us by people close to the game. I discussed this matter with David Richards of the ICC in Pakistan.

Go to top

Haroon Rasheed S/o Munawwar Rasheed (Recorded on 19th September, 1998)

In July 1997, I took over charge as coach of the senior Pakistan team. During my tenure there were some matches which I as a cricketer felt should have been won by Pakistan but they lost. In my opinion they were thrown away. There was a one-dayer being played between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in Colombo in the Asia Cup 1997 in which Pakistan had to chase 239 and at one time (when) Salim Malik and Inzamam were batting, we felt Pakistan would win the match very easily but there was some confusion between Malik and Inzamam which resulted in the latter being run out. The call had been made by Malik. Immediately after, Malik played a very irresponsible stroke and got out. As a matter of fact, he threw his wicket away. Pakistan lost this match by 9 runs. At that time I was present in the dressing room. Inzamam told me they (he and Malik) had decided not to take risky runs but Malik made a call to which he had to respond. In the same tournament Rashid Latif came out with an interview in Outlook in which he accused both Pakistani and Indian cricketers of indulging in match-fixing and throwing away matches. We contacted Latif who through a fax message contradicted some of the contents of the article and specifically stated he had never accused Saeed Anwar of involvement in match-fixing. However, there was no denial with respect to Malik and Akram. The next tournament was the Sahara Cup in Toronto. In one match, India scored 208 runs. Malik and Saqlain were batting well but again there was a mix-up which resulted in the latter being run out... the call was made by Malik. In five overs Pakistan had to score 20 runs for victory but Malik got out while playing a stroke which as a cricketer I would say he threw away his wicket. The kind of stroke he played was unnecessary because the runs could be scored without taking any risk. There was a strange incident in the home one-day series against India. In Karachi India had to score 16-17 runs in the last over which was to be bowled by Saqlain who gave away the runs. Such bowling could not be expected of a bowler of Saqlain's calibre. He conceded those runs to Indian tailenders. In the triangular series which was arranged to celebrate the golden jubilee of Pakistan's Independence, Akram was appointed captain. During this period, there was division among members of the team into various groups which kept accusing each other. On one occasion Akram changed the batting order and batted ahead of Moin and Ijaz. In one match against Sri Lanka, Ijaz was out of form and I suggested to Akram that Inzamam should be sent ahead of Ijaz as he was in form. He didn't agree. Although Ijaz scored 94 runs it was a slow innings and Pakistan scored less than what was in our mind. Again Akram changed the batting order and went ahead of other players mentioned above. As an ex-cricketer having remained in management my own feeling is Akram, Ijaz and Malik have played irresponsibly, without any planning. From all this, the possibility of their involvement in betting and match-fixing can't be ruled out.

Go to top

Imran Ahmed Khan Niazi S/o Ikram Ullah Khan (Recorded on 11th November, 1998)

I was captain from 1982 to 1992 except for few occasions when I was unfit. During the period I played cricket, one incident I should mention is that in India while Asif Iqbal was captain there was some allegation that there was betting on a Test. Asif Iqbal had declared the innings at a stage when Pakistan had not scored more runs than India. There were rumours that it was a bet on who would score more runs in the first innings. In 1989, during the Australasia cup, Javed Miandad rang me up that four of our players have been sold out. It was the final and whatever money we had won in the side matches we made a bet of that on Pakistan winning and we won the match. On another occasion one of the players levelled allegations against Miandad while he was playing in the World Cup but that was not believable as no single player can fix the match. As match-fixing involves guaranteeing the result whosoever are the good players of the team must be implicated. And, without the knowledge or consent of the captain no team can indulge in match-fixing. I believe match-fixing has taken place as players have made allegations, including the current captain (Sohail). Moreover, there are statements made by members of the Australian team, and other Pakistani players like Rashid Latif. In my opinion after I have left cricket there has been match-fixing and betting. When I was working Intikhab Alam was manager and I always found him to be a decent person. If he has stated that there has been match-fixing, he should be believed. The match-fixing as a matter of fact started from domestic cricket. In the United States in 1919 during the baseball finals one match was fixed. The entire team was banned forever and a fine was imposed with the result that no one dared to indulge in such malpractice. In '94 when allegations of match-fixing surfaced I went to the board which at that time was headed by Arif Abassi and told him in the presence of Javed Burki that stern action should be taken against the culprits even though other players might subsequently lose matches. In my opinion expediency came into the way of the administrators in imposing some punishment as at that time the Pakistan team was very strong and they did not want to disrupt it. Stern action must be taken against the culprits to save Pakistan cricket, including bans for life and fines. Ata-ur-Rehman told me that he was paid money by Akram to bowl badly. This was during the last one-day international in New Zealand. Mudassar Nazar too told me that other players had informed him that they had indulged in betting in two-three matches.

Go to top

Intikhab Alam S/o Nasir Uddin Khan (Recorded on 21st October, 1998)

I played for Pakistan from '59 to '78. I was captain of Pakistan team for seven years. I have been appointed as manager on and off for nearly 17 years. In 1994 when Salim Malik was captain at Sharjah we reached the final. One day before the final I started receiving calls from 6 pm onwards alleging that the match had been fixed and 5/6 players were involved. These calls continued till 10 pm but they did not disclose their names. I became worried and called members to my room... where they assembled till 11.30 pm. I impressed upon them the importance of winning the match which was the final against India. I asked the liaison officer to bring a copy of the Quran which he did the next day before the start of the match and at my instance all team members took the oath that they would play to the best of their abilities. Pakistan won the match. Thereafter we went to Sri Lanka. In the Singer Cup our first match was against Australia whom we bowled out for 166. Despite being 80 for 1 at one stage we lost. Naturally, I was very concerned. I called a meeting in the dressing room. I told them exactly what I thought of them. Thereafter we went to the hotel where I received a telephonic call. The caller did not disclose his name, but he told me he had lost Rs 40 lakh and that 4-5 players had sold themselves out. The caller talked to me for an hour and was furious. I tried to pacify him and said that in the absence of concrete proof I could not take any action. I called 2/3 players to my room. Out of them, one was Basit Ali who confessed he was involved in match-fixing. I personally felt he made that disclosure as his conscience was pricking. I also called Waqar Younus and Salim Malik who denied the allegation. In the meantime, Asif Iqbal flew to Colombo from Washington, though he had nothing to do. He told me bluntly bookies had lost Rs 40 lakh and they wanted to recover the same at any cost. I had known Asif Iqbal since very long and was shocked to hear what he said to me. I thought he might have talked to Salim Malik, the captain. I therefore called Salim Malik and discussed the matter with him. The next day he left Colombo and sought my permission to ring me up occasionally in order to inquire about the wicket whenever a match was to be played. After this, I became suspicious of his character. In the '94 series against Australia, Asif Iqbal rang me up. Since I had doubts about him, I provided him with wrong information...he never rang me up after that. We went to New Zealand after that. In the last Test at Christchurch, New Zealand had to score 315/316 runs for victory which they did and we lost the match. I had my doubts about that match. Had we maintained the standards as we did in the past we would have won. In South Africa, we reached the final of the Mandela cup. Salim Malik came back to the dressing room after the toss. He informed us that he had elected to field first, on which Rashid Latif got furious and enraged. He took off his pads and went straight to Salim Malik saying he would not play. Ultimately, I prevailed upon him. We lost that match. After we lost, I again received a telephonic call alleging that 7/8 players were involved in match-fixing. He gave the names of Basit Ali, Salim Malik, Akram. Inzamam-ul-Haq, Ijaz, Waqar, Mushtaq and Moin Khan. Of these players, Moin Khan had remained sick and hardly played any match on this tour. Both Rashid and Waqar suffered some back problem. Waqar had stress fracture and was advised rest. Rashid was given some medicines and advised rest. He was reluctant to go to Zimbabwe. I had a long discussion with him. He informed me that Salim Malik was not an honest person and was involved in match-fixing etc. To be very honest, in my opinion match-fixing has been taking place. I am writing a book in which I have stated so. I felt that some of the matches could not have been lost. In order to fix a match there must be 5/6 players involved as one player cannot do so on his own. I have my suspicions about the players named above. Out of the players whom I consider absolutely clean are Rameez Raja, Aaquib Javed, Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar.

Go to top

Javed Burki S/o Lt.Gen. (Retd.) Wajid Ali Burki (Recorded on 26th September, 1998)

During my tenure as chairman of the ad hoc committee of the Pakistan cricket board there were allegations in the press that betting was going on in the Pakistan team. Some players were stated to have been taking money to lose matches. For the tour of South Africa and Zimbabwe (1994-95) we appointed Rashid Latif as vice-captain who we knew and were sure that he would not indulge in match-fixing and betting. When the Australian press carried reports of attempts to bribe two Australian cricketers by Malik, we asked the Australian board about this and we were told that the Australian cricketers who were offered bribes had sworn affidavits which were sent to the icc in London. When we asked them why this affair was not revealed when it took place in October '94 we were informed by the Australian authorities that the chief executive of the ICC had been verbally informed of the bribe offer to Australian players. We asked the chief executive why the icc had not reported the matter to us; he told us he had been informed verbally and he thought it fit not to take any further action. I was informed by Arif Abassi when our team was in South Africa he had received telephonic calls from Clyde Walcott to the effect that Pakistan was involved in betting and match-fixing and that he was much concerned that this evil should be nipped in the bud. I flew to Harare where the team next went. Rashid Latif and Amir Sohail met me in a separate hotel. They levelled allegations of betting and match-fixing against Salim Malik and other members of the team though they did not name them. Since I was about to hand over charge to a new set-up my advice to them was that they should make sure that Salim Malik never again plays for Pakistan. Similarly, action should be taken against another suspect, Ijaz Ahmed and that Akram should be warned. I was absolutely sure that match-fixing and betting was going on in the Pakistan team. There was another incident which was reported to us that a match had been thrown in Sri Lanka in 1994. Salim Malik on that tour rang me up for permission to attend a wedding ceremony in Pakistan during a gap of 8/9 days. I gave him permission and later on it was alleged that during his stay in Pakistan he visited the house of Khalid Ghitti and a deal was struck between them to fix one of the matches of the Singer trophy. The match was fixed and Saeed Anwar had told me that during that match he was asked by the 12th man not to play well and get himself out. I asked Saaed Anwar to make the statement in writing and at that time I was staying in the Pearl Continental. Anwar promised to come over to me and do the needful. Later on, Anwar informed me that he could not do the needful as promised because his brother was threatened by dire consequences if Anwar came over to me and delivered the statement in writing. Thereupon, I told Anwar that I was going back to Karachi and that he should come there on his next trip for making the statement in writing. He did come to Karachi and he telephoned me and told me that he would first talk to Rashid Latif and then deliver the statement in writing. Neither he nor Latif came to me and delivered the statement in writing as promised. I did have eye witnesses as regards the fact that Salim Malik and Mushtaq Ahmed were present in the house of Khalid Ghitti during the aforesaid 8/9 days. I have forgotten his name at the moment but can give it later on. That gentleman had promised to make a statement if he is called in. I order to avoid further humiliation and embarrassment these boys should not be allowed to play for Pakistan. Once Salim Malik was summoned in the presence of Arif Abassi and Zafar Altaf and was informed that since he was involved in betting and match-fixing he cannot be allowed to play for Pakistan. He went off without refuting the allegation against him. I was present in the Old Trafford ground watching the one-dayer between Pakistan and England. I was there in my private capacity. The English team put on 100 runs in the first 10 overs and it was only due to loose deliveries bowled deliberately by Akram and Waqar. I was amazed at the way those bowlers were bowling. Ball-tampering also took place.

Go to top

Javed Miandad S/o Miandad Noor Mohammed (Recorded on 11th November, 1998)

On one occasion, I was informed that there had been match-fixing but I refused to believe it. The person concerned put me on telephone conference with that third player. Two of the players were agreeing and two were not. I disclosed this fact to Imran Khan immediately on telephone. As a result, we decided to bet the amount of the runners-up prize on the Pakistan team in Sharjah. That match was won by us. The manner in which the Pakistan team played and lost certain matches led me to the conclusion that there was some truth in the allegation regarding match-fixing and betting. There are different methods of match-fixing and the players have to give indication to show that the match has been fixed. In 1992-93 when I was captain, I was subsequently informed by Idrees, brother of Hanif Kentbury [a book-maker], that he had bought three of my players, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younus and another whose name I don't remember. I know Saleem Parvez who has friends who are involved in gambling. If he (Saleem Parvez) says that he had paid money to some Pakistani players in Sri Lanka, it must be true. I believe that the Australian players were telling the truth. In their culture nobody accuses another without any foundation. I strongly recommend that the culprits be punished sternly. They should be banned for life and even if we have to sacrifice the whole team we should do so in order to salvage the country and the cricket team. I know that in Sri Lanka Saleem Parvez was staying in the same hotel where the Pakistani team was staying. In one of the matches in the Australasia cup, Saeed Anwar had retired hurt and amazingly he came back to bat at No 9. He should have come back much earlier. The modest total of 162 runs was by no means a difficult target to achieve (in) 50 overs. It is not understandable as to how Pakistan could not achieve the target. Once Mushtaq Ahmed confided to me that the evil of match-fixing in the team is going on and once he was also involved. So far as I know, even the veteran Pakistan team which recently visited India was also involved in this malpractice. The domestic match to which Imran had referred was the match in which I was captain of Habib Bank. On the day subsequent to that match, I was informed that the match was fixed. This information was given to me by one Afzal of Bisco carpets. He disclosed that five of the players had been won over. In order to fix a match, it is not essential that the captain of the team must also be involved. Five key players suffice. In the said match, Salim Malik and Ijaz Ahmed were also playing for Habib Bank Limited. The names of the players disclosed to me by Afzal were Salim Malik, Ijaz Ahmed, Akram Raza, Nadeem Ghori and Naveed Anjum. What I have heard is that the senior players have been influencing younger players also in order to persuade them to indulge in match-fixing.

Go to top

Mark Waugh S/o W. Roger (Recorded on 8th October, 1998)

I was a member of the Australian team which came to Pakistan in 1994. On the presidential reception before the Rawalpindi one-day game I was approached by Salim Malik. He came to me and talked about myself arranging some Australian players to perform below their best the next day in return for $200,000, He said that he will speak to me later in the evening. Later, he spoke to me for about 90 minutes. He said that I can have many players in the night at the hotel. I told him it was not a good idea and that the Australians didn't play their cricket that way. We play to win for our country all the time. When I said no, Malik walked away. At the time when Malik talked to me Shane Warne was standing next to me. At that time I didn't tell this incident to anyone. The next day we spoke about this among team members, casually. I did not disclose this fact to the authorities immediately as such things had never happened before and this came to me as a shock, I needed some time to think over it. I am not sure who disclosed this fact to the Australian press. I did not raise this issue formally in the team meeting. I personally did not make any formal complaint to Bob Simpson. Our coach was very keen to follow it. I did not exactly recall when I talked to Bob Simpson, whether it was the next night or the next week or so. I am not sure but probably it was the Australian team which asked me. My relations with Malik have been good and I was on speaking terms with him. We lost the match in which Malik offered us money. It is incorrect that I have these allegations only to create some justification for having lost the match. I realise that offering a bribe is a serious offence. I had informed the management of the tour at that time. I did not make a formal complaint.

(Recorded on 9th April,1995)
1. On the Australian Tour of Pakistan in 1994 I attended a Presidential reception on the night before the One Day International at Rawalpindi.

2. I was standing with Shane Warne when I was approached by Salim Malik.
3. Malik said he wanted to talk to me about my arranging four or five Australian players to perform below their best and lose the game the next day in return for $US 200,000. He said he wanted to talk to me about it later.

4. Subsequently that same evening Malik spoke to me again. He said I could have the money at my hotel that night.
5. I thought about Malik's offer and then told him I didn't think it was a good idea. I told him Australians did not play their cricket that way, we play to win for our country all the time. Once I had said that Malik walked away.

6. After the game the following day (which Australia lost) I saw Malik very briefly. He laughed at me and said that I should have taken the money.

AND I MAKE this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true.

Go to top

Ramiz Raja S/o Raja Saleem Akhter (Recorded on 26th September, 1998)

I had made my debut as cricketer in 1981 and continued to play for Pakistan till 1996-97. Pakistan team over the years has always struggled to maintain discipline. One of the major issues facing Pakistan was ball-tampering. The first incident of ball tampering took place in 1993 and all the allegations of match-fixing surfaced during the 1994 tour, whereas the bribery scandal came to light when Australia toured Pakistan. Later on, Rashid Latif and Basit Ali resigned while in South Africa. The only incident in my entire career where the players accused each other of match-fixing took place in the 1994 tour to Sri Lanka. Players like Basit Ali, Aaquib Javed, Rashid Latif, Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar came to me and expressed their apprehension. During the tour, Intikhab Alam, who was the manager, told me that there was something wrong going on in the team.

Go to top

Rashid Latif S/o Abdul Latif (Recorded on 17th October, 1998)

I have been playing for Pakistan since '92. In '94, we toured New Zealand. Before the fifth one-dayer at Christchurch, Salim Malik, who was captain, called me to his room. I went there and found 3/4 players there. I can't disclose the names of those players as they are not the main culprits, though as a matter of fact the entire team is involved in match-fixing and betting except Asif Mujtaba. I can't say anything about Aamir Sohail whether he is involved in match-fixing or betting. Malik told me we had to lose the match as he had struck some deal with somebody about it. I was offered Rs 10 lakh by Malik. I told him I would think over the matter. There were also four/five other players and it was obvious that they must have also been offered money. The next morning, when I took the catch of a batsman from New Zealand, Malik came to me and reprimanded me and reiterated that we have to lose the match. During the water break I told Malik I was not a party to the fixing as I decided during the night not to accept any money. Ata-ur-Rehman has also deposed about the same match. Pakistan cricket board in its meeting held on 27.3.1995 had also taken up the matter with regard to the same match. In my opinion, that match was lost deliberately. The main two culprits in this behalf are Akram and Salim Malik. In that match, at one stage, New Zealand was 45 for 3 in reply to 145 runs scored by Pakistan but the way our bowlers bowled New Zealand won the match by seven wickets easily. Akram declared himself unfit but what was strange was that he was holding his shoulders as if in pain even before he bowled the first bowl. I am of the view that if Akram had bowled to the best of his potential we would have got out New Zealand easily. Akram left the field after bowling his first spell and came back to complete it. In my view, he was feigning injury. In my view, no-balls and wide balls were deliberately bowled by him. Pakistani bowlers deliberately bowled bouncers. Two deliveries of Akram were so wide that I could not pick them up, resulting in two fours of byes. There was an imminent threat of the match being washed out due to rain which led the bowlers to bowl deliberately in a way that the scoring rate could be accelerated. In August, 1994, Pakistan toured Sri Lanka. The morning we were to play a one-dayer Saeed Anwar met me. He informed me that he was approached by Malik to lose the match and further that Malik told him not to disclose this information to Rashid Latif. Anwar asked me for advice. I however told him to act according to his conscience. However, that match was won by us. During the lunch break, Intikhab Alam called a meeting of the players and almost abused them by saying that it was common talk Pakistan was likely to lose the match. In the Singer trophy in Sri Lanka we lost the match against Australia. In that match Australia scored 166 runs. At one stage Pakistan was 80 for one but thereafter there was a sudden batting collapse. In the dressing room, when I was sitting behind Akram, he received a telephone call and I heard him saying to somebody that "he did not know". Intikhab admonished Akram as to why he was using his mobile in the dressing room when he was not allowed to do so. Then three players had mobile phones, Malik, Akram and Waqar. In Sri Lanka we were free for 10 days. As there was no match during that period I and Salim Malik came to Pakistan. I remember that I had arranged for his return visa to Sri Lanka and I am sure that the flight he took was for Lahore and not Islamabad. We flew by Aeroflot from Colombo to Karachi and during the flight his luggage was lost. In his baggage, he was carrying Rs 50,000 Sri Lankan rupees which he had won by gambling among the players. When we were staying in Hotel Taj Samudra (Sri Lanka) I saw two bookmakers from Lahore staying in the adjoining hotel. One of them was Saleem Parvez alias Pejii, the former opener of National Bank, and the other was known by the name of Butt. They were moving freely in the rooms of the players... I would not like to name those players. We shifted from Taj Samudra to Oberoi Hotel. I disclosed this fact to Arif Abassi when I came to Karachi. He told me to convey to the members of the team that they should play to the best of their abilities and not be misled by bookmakers. In the final of the Australasia cup Intikhab Alam, manager, made a bet of the amount of the runners-up prize. In my view this was wrong as it amounted to gambling. I and Saeed Anwar belonged to the same mohalla and used to play for the same gymkhana and study in the same university. Saeed had very close relations with me. In South Africa before the second final, I insisted that as it was a night match and the wicket was bouncy; Kabir Khan should play instead of Akram Raza. However, Salim Malik and Intikhab Alam without discussing with me included Akram Raza instead of Kabir Khan. On the contrary, South Africa did not include any spinner. We had two spinners and one slow-medium fast bowler in the side. I had advised Malik that we should bat first as generally in South Africa in a night match it is better to bat first. When I contacted Intikhab Alam he told me he would prefer the choice of Malik to mine as he was captain. I had an altercation with Malik and I insisted that the players must take oath on the holy Quran not to indulge in match-fixing and betting. There was no holy book available. We, however, took oath in the name of Allah by holding an amulet in our hand. However, Malik did not take the oath as at that time he went for the toss and having won the same, he put South Africa to bat. Hansie Cronje, captain of South Africa, made a statement that he was quite surprised at being asked to bat first and this was published in South African newspapers. Having asked South Africa to bat first Malik came and wanted to take the oath. However, I said it was no use... now that he had already invited South Africa to bat first. South Africa scored 269/270 runs and we were all out for only 111/112 runs. I had accused Malik of match-fixing directly because I had earlier been offered money which I refused. After the match we remained in the dressing room for quite sometime and Intikhab asked me and Malik to embrace. At the instance of other team members, I agreed to embrace Malik but he did not respond positively. I rang up Arif Abassi and told him the entire situation. He informed that either he himself or Javed Burki would be visiting South Africa within a week. However, Saleem Altaf came. Having reached South Africa, Altaf advised me to forget everything and concentrate on the game. I was advised to play the next match. I did not play in the next Test. We lost the first match. I do not think that match was fixed. Probably we had to face defeat because of the low morale of the players. Malik was under pressure during that match. He later promised that he would not indulge in match-fixing and was advised by his Pir to apologise to me. This fact was revealed to me by Anwar. Javed Burki came to Zimbabwe. The impression I gathered was that the Board was not behind us. We lost the one-day match In Zimbabwe. During that match there was a fight between Amir Sohail and Ijaz Ahmed on the ground which was the worst day in the history of the Pakistani cricket. This match was tied. Due to the circumstances prevailing in the team I had decided not to play cricket any longer. I and Basit Ali announced retirement. I produce for the perusal of the Commission copies of the two reports submitted by Intikhab and also a copy of the letter addressed by the ceo to Arif Abassi. I also produce copies of cheques issued in favour of Malik in respect of his account in the uae. These were issued by Seizure Fernandus and the same were dishonoured. I also produce an audio cassette containing conversation between Ata-ur-Rehman and Saeed Anwar. This was recorded by me.

Go to top

Saleem Parvez S/o Ghulam Muhyuddin (Recorded on 24th October, 1998)

I went to Sri Lanka when Pakistan was playing in the Singer Cup (in 1994). I stayed for one month, for some days in the same hotel where the team was. Most of the matches played by Pakistan and other teams are fixed. In this activity, Salim Malik and Mushtaq Ahmed are the leaders and they at the appropriate time involve other players also. Once I overheard Salim Malik and Mushtaq talking about having a match fixed. I overheard them saying they have to lose their match. This conversation took place in the hotel corridor. I went to Sri Lanka at Mushtaq's insistence who said I should come to Sri Lanka so as to see some matches and maybe something comes out of it. These players have been indulging in match-fixing even before that but not in my presence. Mushtaq and Salim Malik had received $100,000 from me on behalf of someone for fixing the match in Sri Lanka. The amount was paid so that Pakistan should lose the match, which they did lose. It was a match against Australia. Intikhab Alam is also involved in this match-fixing. He has remained manager of Pakistan and has put up two factories here. In my view matches in South Africa and Zimbabwe were also fixed. So was the quarter-final in Bangalore as I think that Ijaz Ahmed deliberately got out while playing rash. I acted on behalf of my friends whose names I can't disclose for security reasons. They are not book-makers but one of their friends is. I carried $100,000 with me. I had taken this money to Sri Lanka as I knew the team is going to sell the matches to Kerry Packer or to Bakhatar and therefore, I thought that why I should not try. I handed over the dollars to both of them who were together in their hotel room. The two players had contacted me directly in this connection. They had asked for a larger amount but I told them I have only $100,000.

Go to top

Sarfaraz Nawaz S/o Malik Mohammed Nawaz (Recorded on 8th September, 1998)

When Imran Khan was captain, Raj Bagri, who was the biggest bookmaker in India, approached him and offered Rs 20 lakh for the information whether he would like to win or lose the toss. This fact was disclosed to me by Imran. In '79 when Pakistan toured India, Raj Bagri used to live in the same room in which Asif Iqbal did and behaved as if he was a member of the team. He was allowed access to all player areas. The brother of Akram and Malik are bookmakers. Ijaz and Malik are also involved in gambling in the matches of their local teams. In October '94, in a match between National Bank of Pakistan and Habeeb Bank, Malik was paid Rs 10 lakh to lose the match. I have been repeatedly writing about the betting and match-fixing of Pakistani players to the president of Pakistan, prime minister, the pcb and all concerned but I was never called or examined. This situation can be remedied by ousting Malik, Akram, Ijaz and Saqlain from the team. As a matter of fact we should prepare a new team for the World Cup by inducting youngsters. There is one more instance. Last year, when the Pakistan team was on the South African tour we won the first Test in the absence of Akram but after his arrival and inclusion in the team there was bickering and we lost the second match. In the presence of Farooq Leghari, then president, Javed Burki disclosed he had positive and solid proof about match-fixing. At that time Abassi was also present.

Go to top

Shane Warne (Recorded on 9th April, 1995)

1. On the night before the last day of the First Test on the 1994 Australian Tour of Pakistan I was in my hotel room with Tim May when I was telephoned by Salim Malik.

2. Malik said he needed to talk to me. I was surprised and asked him what about. He said it was private and asked me to come up to his room. He said I must come up to his room.

3. I went to Malik's room. Malik was alone. He said words to the effect of "our prode is at stake. We cannot lose this first test. I means a lot to us not to lose. You and Maysie are the keys for Australian tomorrow, we don't want you to bowl well tomorrow".

4. I told Malik we were going to win the Test Match tomorrow.
5. Malik then said he could have $US 200,000 in my room in half an hour. I couldn't believe what I had heard and said " You're f***ing kidding". I also asked Malik if he was serious. He said that he was and that I must get back to him.

6. I returned to my hotel room. Tim May asked " What did the rat want?". I told him of my conversation with Malik and May said "Is he joking or not? Did you tell him to f*** off?"

7. Either that night or the following morning I rang Malik and told him to f*** off and forget it. I told him that is not the way we operate in Australia.
8. Later on the tour I attended a Presidential reception the night before the One Day International in Rawalpindi. Malik approached Mark Waugh with ehom I was talking and offered $US 200,000 for four or five Australian players not to play well the next day. He suggested we could bat slowly and not bowl well-a few full tosses and long hops.

9. Malik said he wanted to discuss it later with Mark Waugh.
10. I was not present at any subsequent conversation between Mark Waugh and Salim Malik.
AND I MAKE this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true.

Go to top

Tim May (Recorded on 9th April, 1995)

1. On the 1994 Australian tour of Pakistan I roomed with Shane Warne during the first test in Karachi. On the night before the last day of the test, Shane received a telephone call from Pakistani palyer. He then told me he was going to see Salim Malik.

2. Shane returned to our room after about ten minutes and said to me we had been offered $US200,000 each not to bowl well the following day. I asked Shane if he had told the rat to get f***ed.

3. We both agreed It was not a right thing to do and Shane rang Malik that night to tell him we were not interested.
4. I have never spoken to Malik about the issue.
5. Later on the tour in Rawalpindi I was at a barbecue. Warney said to me"It's happened again" and then told me about the approach made to him and Mark Waugh by Malik at the presidential reception earlier that night.
AND I MAKE this solemn declaration conscientisly believing it to be true.
Go to top

We are a community driven site - Send your articles, stories and event reporting to We publish such contents within 24 hours!
ContactPakistan offers FREE hosting to all community contests.
If you like to sponsor a competition such as sporting events quiz,
Children Essay, Drawings etc. then drop an Email to  Webmaster for more
details. We will design complete contest and advertisement campaign Free!!
Let us build virtual community and your business together

ęCopyright notice