- Use non-acetone polish remover.
- Allow nails to 'breathe' without polish a few
days a month. Buffing with a chamois buffer during that time helps circulation and gives
nails a nice sheen.
- Massage a nail-and-cuticle cream into
fingertips every night.
- If you are prone to brittle nails, do not use
any polish or treatment formula containing formaldehyde. Give your nails a treat with a
10-minute soak in olive oil or wheat-germ oil. Wipe off and massage the excess into
- Get enough calcium, iron, zinc, protein and
vitamins A, B and C. You already knew this, but it's still true. Evening-primrose-oil
supplements are pricey but will strengthen nails.
- Any overly pronounced ridges could be the mark
of a fungal infection. See a doctor at the first sign; fungi are stubborn and need
- As always, keep your stress level as low
as possible. Stress affects every aspect of our appearance, and often that deep ridge is
telling you something.