|1. The night before cooking, remove fat from the beef, freeze for 2
hours (to make it hard) and using a sharp
chef's knife or Chinese chopper, slice AGAINST THE GRAIN, into 1 to 2 mm thick slices.
2. Place the beef slices in a glass, plastic or porcelain bowl. Mix together the egg white, 1/2 cup water, the
soda and the cornflour for marinade, pour this over the beef & mix it in. Cover and leave overnight in the
fridge. The soda tenderises the beef.
3. Pour the oil into a wok or large Karahi and heat until it smokes. Add 1/4 of the beef, and quickly stir fry it
(about 2 minutes). Remove the fried beef with a slotted spoon and continue this process until all the beef is
4. Reheat the wok/karahi until the remaining oil starts to smoke again. Add the ginger, chillis, onion and
carrots and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the soya sauce and chicken stock and add back the fried beef.
Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
5. While the stuff in the wok/karahi cooks, mix the cornflour for thickening with 1/2 cup water forming a thin
6. Add sufficient cornflour paste to the wok/karahi, with stirring, to thicken the gravy. Add the monosodium
glutamate and stir it in.
7. Remove from heat and serve with rice or noodles.