Ingredient- 1cup warm water
- 4 tsp. sugar
- 1\2 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 3\4 cups scalded milk
- 1\2 cup shortening
- 3 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 6 1\2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-2 egg whites
- sesame seeds
2. Add 4 tablespoons sugar, shortening and salt in scalded milk and stir to dissolve sugar. Cool the milk mixture to the same temperature as the yeast mixture.
3. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl and add half the flour and mix with a fork, gradually add rest of the flour and continue mixing until smooth. Then knead with hands until elastic and smooth.
4. Place the dough in bowl, brush with oil, cover and let stand for at least 1 1\2 hours or until double in size.
5. Place the dough on floured surface. Punch down the dough and divide into 12-14 equal portions. Cover them with a damp cloth to prevent from drying.
6. Roll each portion between floured hands into very smooth balls. Cover the balls with a damp cloth. Using fingers, gently flatten balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
7. On well floured surface lightly roll one ball of dough at a time into a 7 inch round, turning dough over once. Work with enough flour so dough does not stick.
8. Place the nan on a baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, glaze the nan with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
9. Bake 2-3 at a time in 450F about 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining dough.
10 Allow nan to cool slightly and smear with a thin layer of butter before wrapping for storage.
Did you try our Pita Bread and Pizza.