- 3 1\4 to 3
3\4 cups all purpose flour
|1. In a large mixing bowl dissolve the sugar in the warm water and
sprinkle in the dried yeast. Leave to stand in a warm place for about 10 minutes until
frothy, add two cups of flour, shortening and salt.
2. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1\2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix with a spoon
3 Turn out onto floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3to 5 minutes total). Cover, and let rest in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each between floured hands into very smooth balls. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth, Let rest 10 minutes. Using fingers, gently flatten balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. (keep dough pieces covered till easy to use.)
5. On well floured surface lightly roll one piece of dough at a time into a 7 inch round, turning dough over once. Do not stretch, puncture or crease dough. Work with enough flour so dough does not stick. Place on baking sheet. Bake 2-3 at a time in 450F about 3 minutes or until dough is puffed and softly set. Turn over with spatula, Bake about 2 minutes more or until dough begins to lightly brown. Repeat with remaining dough, baking one batch before rolling and baking the next batch.
6. Allow bread to just cool before wrapping for storage. Make 12 pita breads.
7. To serve, slice bread in half crosswise and generously fill each pocket with desired filling.