- 1 kg. carrots
1. Peel the carrots
and remove the central core, if the carrots are large.
Cut the flesh into large pieces.
2. Place the carrot pieces in a large skillet, add enough water to cover and bring to boil. Simmer until the carrots are half cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Drain in a colander.
3. Put sugar and water in a heavy based medium pot, bring to boil.
4. Add carrots and lemon juice. Simmer over medium heat until one string syrup is formed.
5.To test that one string syrup has formed, with a wooden spoon, lift a little of the syrup out of the pan. Let it cool slightly then tip the spoon so that the syrup drop back into the pan, if the drips run together and fall from the spoon in a flake or string rather than as drips, it is ready.
6. Alternatively, place one drop of syrup in a plate, then place the back of a teaspoon over it, press gently and then lift the spoon, if a thin string of syrup is formed between the drop and the spoon then it is ready.
7. When 1 string syrup is formed, turn off the heat. (Do not over cook, otherwise the syrup will become more thicker and 2 or more string syrup will formed.)
8. Store muraba in sterilized glass jar.