- 1 litre fresh milk
- 3\4 cup sugar
- seeds of 4 cardamoms
- 1 cup powder milk
- 1\2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1\4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. pistachios,
1. Pour milk into a heavy based saucepan, add sugar
and cardamoms and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring the milk to boil, reduce
the heat to very low and simmer uncovered while making the balls.
2. Place the powder milk, baking powder, ghee and ground cardamom into a
bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg and pour into the centre.
Using the fingertips mix the milk and egg together, The mixture will be
sticky at this stage. Knead lightly until smooth and leaves the sides of the
bowl, about 3 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 15-18 equal parts. Roll each part into a completely smooth ball.
4. Now place the balls one by one in
the simmering milk. Cover and
cook for about 8-10 minutes or until they are double in size. During cooking
the balls will float in the milk, shake the pan
occasionally to covered the ball with milk.
5. Remove from heat and keep covered and put aside to cool. Transfer to a serving dish, covered and chill for several hours
before serving. Garnish with finely chopped
Try another Ras Malai's recipe