- 1\2 kg. small
round or long aubergines
|1. Wash the baingan. Cut them into half lengthwise and then slice
crosswise. Peel and cut the potatoes into dices. Keep the baingan slices and potato dices
in cold water.
2. Heat oil in a heavy based pan and stirring frequently, fry the onions to a light brown color. Add the ground ginger to the onions. Stir fry for one minute then add the tomatoes, chili powder, salt, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric. Stir well. Still stirring frequently, fry the onion mixture for about 7-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Add a little water, to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep frying until the oil begin to separate.
3. Drain the baingan and potatoes, and add to the sauce. Stir well to coat the gravy. Add 1\2 cup of water, stir once and reduce the heat to low.
4. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until the potatoes and baingans are tender and all the moisture has dried up.
5. It may be necessary to add extra water to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Serve with Chapati. or boiled rice.
Try our Makai ki roti and sursoon ka saag