350gm split black chick peas (Chana Dal)
|1.Wash dal in few changes of water until water runs clear then leave
to soak in cold water for about an hour. Drain Dal and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the onions, ginger and garlic. Stirring frequently, fry for 5-8 minutes until the mixture turns to a pale golden colour.
3. Add chili powder, turmeric, salt, green chili, coriander powder and a little water to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stirring frequently, fry the mixture for few more minutes.
4.Then add the tomatoes and still stirring frequently, fry the onion mixture for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Add a little water, if necessary, to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep frying until the oil begins to separate. .
5. Add the drained dal and water. Mix well, reduce the heat, cover and allow to cook for about 30 minutes or until dal is tender and all the moisture had dried up.
6. Add garam masala, coriander leave and green chilies.
7. Serve with Nan, Roti or plain boiled rice.