Chanay Ki Dal
1\4 cup chana dal (split black chick peas)
Wash dal in few changes of water, until water runs clear, then
keep aside to soak in cold water for about an hour. Drain
and boil dal with 2 cups water, until 3\4 cooked and
about 1\2 cup water is left. Keep aside.
2. Peel the bitter gourd, make a long cut, remove the seeds and cut it into thin slices. Sprinkle the bitter gourd with salt and put it aside for at least two hours. Rub the bitter gourd with your hands to remove the excessive bitterness. Wash with plenty of water and squeeze to remove excess water.
3. Fry 11\2 cups onion slices in oil until the edges turn light brown. Remove the onions from the oil with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
4. Fry the bitter gourd pieces in the same oil until they turn golden brown. Remove from the oil and discard the oil.
5. Heat 1\2 cup oil in a heavy based skillet. Add the 1\2 cup onions and stirring frequently, sauté until transparent but not brown about 3 minutes.
6. Add chili powder, turmeric, salt, coriander powder and a little water to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stirring frequently, fry the mixture for few more minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and still stirring frequently, fry mixture, until the tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes. Add a little water, if necessary, to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
8. Add dal with water, mango powder, green chillies, fried onions and fried bitter gourd to the tomato mixture. Mix well, reduce the heat, cover and allow to cook for about 15- 20 minutes or until the bitter gourd is tender and all the moisture had dried up.
9. Serve with Roti or plain boiled rice.