Loki Aur Channay Ki Dal
1\2 cup channa dal (split black chickpeas)
Soak dal in plenty of cold water for at least 2 hours.
Drain and wash in a few changes of water.
2. Place dal with water in a saucepan, Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook until dal is tender and all the moisture has dried up, about 15-20 minutes. Keep aside.
3. Peel loki and cut in half lengthwise. Then slice it thinly and place it in cold water.
4. Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan over high heat. Add bay leaves. They should pop at once. Reduce heat to low, add onions, garlic, ginger, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder and 3-4 tablespoons water. Stirring frequently, fry for 5 minutes until onions turns to a light brown color. Add little more water if mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan.
5. Add loki and tomatoes and stirring frequently cook until tomatoes are reduced to pulp, about 5 minutes.
6. Add 1 cup water mix well, reduce heat to low, cover and allow to cook for about 20 minutes or until loki is tender.
7. Add dal and imli ka ras, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garam masala, coriander leave and green chilies. Mix and cook for few more minutes.
8. Serve with plain boiled rice or chapati.