- 1.5 kg.
beef shank, cut into large pieces
1. Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan, add the meat, ginger,
garlic, chili powder and salt. Stirring frequently fry until the meat turns brown,
about 5-8 minutes. Add yogurt and stirring frequently fry until all the moisture has
2. Add 4-5 cups of water and cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until meat is 3\4 cooked. (Alternatively, cook the meat in a pressure cooker, pour in half the water and follow the manufacturer's instructions).
3. Meanwhile place the cumin, saunf, black pepper, sonth, cardamoms, cloves, jaifel and javetri in a food processor or grinder and grind to a fine powder and then sieve it. Add 3-4 tablespoons of the sieved spices to the meat, cover and cook over low heat until the meat is tender.
4. Dissolve flour in 2 cups of water and stirring carefully pour it into the beef. (don't stir hard, otherwise meat will break into small pieces).
5. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the sliced onions and stirring frequently, fry for 10 minutes to a golden color. Lift out all the onions with a slotted spoon and add to the beef and cook for 10 minutes over low heat, stir carefully.
6. Garnish with green chilies, ginger (chopped) and lemon slices.
7. Serve with Nan.
Try another recipe of Nihari