beef shank, cut into large pieces
Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the
sliced onions and stirring frequently, fry for 10 minutes
or until golden brown.
2. Add beef, ginger, garlic, chili powder and salt. Stirring frequently fry until the meat turns brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add yogurt and stirring frequently fry until all the moisture has evaporated.
2. Add 4 glasses of water and cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until meat is 3\4 cooked. (Alternatively, the process can be speeded up in a pressure cooker, pour in half the water and follow the manufacturer's instructions).
3. Meanwhile place the whole spices in a food processor or grinder and grind to a fine powder and then sieve it through a muslin cloth.
Add the sieved spices to the meat, cover and cook over low heat until the meat is tender.
4. Dissolve flour in 2 cups of water and stirring carefully pour it in a thin stream into the beef mixture. (don't stir hard, otherwise meat will break into small pieces).
5. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6.Garnish with green chilies, ginger (chopped) and lemon slices.
7.Serve with Nan.