Sarsoon ka Saag
750g. fresh or 450 g. frozen mustard
greens (Sarson ka saag)
1. If fresh mustard
greens are used, remove any coarse stalks,
chop finely and wash thoroughly in a few changes of water.
Thaw the frozen mustard greens, if used.
2. Place mustard greens, chilies, ginger and salt in a heavy based saucepan and cook over low heat for about an hour or until the leaves are very tender, stirring occasionally. ( The leaves will release water during cooking. Add more water if it dries up quickly.)
3. During cooking mash the leaves with a saag masher or a wooden spoon against the sides of the saucepan. (alternatively put the cooked greens in batches in a food processor or blender and blend to a puree without adding more water.
4. Add cornmeal and stir hard to mix the ingredients. Stirring continuously cook for 10-15 minutes or until thick and creamy.
5. Heat ghee or butter in a small frying pan add finely sliced garlic and ginger and fry to a light golden color, Add green chilies, stir once and add to saag. Cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Transfer saag to serving dish, add butter, if wished, stir once to melt the butter with the heat of the saag Serve at once.
7. Serve with hot Makkai ki Roti