Ingredients- 2 chickens, skinned and cut into small pieces
- 1 3\4 kg. Basmati rice
- 500 g. Yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 medium onions (thin slices)
- 3tbs. Garlic (crushed)
- 2tsp. Ginger (crushed)
- 10-12 green chilies
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1\2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1\2 cup oil
- 4-6 green chilies
- 2 tbs. Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- few strands of saffron, soaked in two tbsp. of warm water
- few drops kewra
- 2-3of Yellow food color
|1.Heat the oil or ghee in a heavy
based sauce pan and fry the onions for 8-10 minutes until light brown. Remove the onions
from the oil and reserve 1\4 onions for later use.
2. Put the fried onions, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves, mint, green chilies, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and blend to a paste. Mix this paste with yogurt, garam masala, lemon juice and 2 tbsp. oil. Marinate the chicken with the yogurt mixture for about 6 hours or overnight in a refrigerator. 4.Put the rice in a sieve and wash it thoroughly under a running cold tap until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in plenty of water for half an hour. In a large heavy based pan put plenty of water and add 1 stick cinnamon, 6 cloves, 5 big cardamoms, 8 small cardamoms, 2 bay leaves and salt. Bring it to a rapid boil and add the washed rice. When the rice are 1\4 cooked, drain and keep aside.
5. In a large pan place 1\2 cup of oil at the bottom of a large heavy based pan then place the chicken and all the marinade. Cover the meat with the rice and level it with a spatula. Sprinkle reserved fried onions, chopped coriander, green chilies and saffron on the top of the rice. Mix the food color with a little water and sprinkle over the rice.
6. Cover with a tight fitting lid or cover with a large piece of thick aluminum foil and then place the lid. Allow to cook for 15 minutes on medium heat then reduce the heat to a very low and cook for further 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice and meat are tender.
7. once the dish is cooked, leave it covered for a few minutes. then remove the lid, fluff up the rice with a fork.
8. serve with Raita and Baingan Ka Raita.