Ingredients-1 kg Mutton/chicken
-750 g. Basmati rice
-500 g. Potato
-500 g. tomatoes (cut into small pieces)
-250 gr. Yogurt
-1 tsp. Red chili powder
-Salt to taste
-2 Onions (thin slices)
-3tbs. Garlic (crushed -2tsp. Ginger (crushed)
-8-10 green -cardamoms
-4 black cardamoms (bari Iliachi)
-10 pieces of black pepper
-1 inch cinnamon stick
-1 tsp. Cumin (zeera)
-2 bay leaves
-8-10 dried plumb (allo bahara)
-Oil or ghee
-6 pieces green chilies
-2 tbs. Coriander leaves
-2 tbs. Mint leaves
-few drops kewra
-2-3of Yellow food color
|1.Marinate the meat with garlic, ginger, salt,
chili powder, garam
masala for half an hour.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil or ghee in a heavy based sauce pan and fry the onions for 5-10 minutes to a golden brown. Remove the onions from the oil and stir into the yogurt. Rub this yogurt all over the marinated chicken cover and put in a cool place for at least an hour.
3. Reheat the oil, add the meat along with the marinade and all of the whole spices, and stirring frequently, fry the meat 5-10 minutes. Add 1\2 cup water, cover and allow to cook over low heat. When the meat is half cooked add potatoes and keep cooking over low heat. While the rice is being prepared.
4.Soak the rice in water for half an hour. In another pan boil the rice with 2-3 tsp. of salt and plenty of water .when the rice are 3\4 cooked drain the water. Add 1\4 cup oil or butter and fluff with a fork to prevent the rice to stick each other. Keep rice to one side.
5. In a large pan place 2 inch layer of rice at the bottom, then a layer of meat, tomatoes, and dried plums on top, repeating this until the meat and rice have been used up. sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves over the top layer of the rice Pour 1\2 cup water and kewra over the rice. Do not stir. Mix the food color with a little water and sprinkle over the rice.
6. over with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook for 20 minutes until the rice and meat are tender.
7. once the dish is cooked, leave it covered for a few minutes. then remove the lid, fluff up the rice with a fork.
8. serve with Raita.