Ingredients- 500 g. lamb or beef mince
- 500 g. basmati rice
- 1 tsp. Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs. garlic paste
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- oil for frying
- 1 cup peas, frozen or fresh
- 3 carrot, cut into small dice
- 1\2 cup canned corns
Ingredients for stock:
- 2 cups water
- 8-10 green -cardamoms
- 4 black cardamoms (bari Iliachi)
- 10 cloves
- 10 pieces of black pepper
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. Cumin (zeera)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1\4 tsp. mace ( javetri)
- pinch of jaifel
- 1 medium onion, thinly slice
- 4 pieces green chillies
- 2 tbs. Coriander leaves
|1. Put the mince in a bowl and add
ginger and garlic paste, onion chilli powder, salt, garam masala, coriander powder. Knead
really well so that the mixture becomes firm and hold its shape.
2. Break off small pieces of mince mixture at a time and shape each into a smooth ball. Make about 25 balls.
3. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or karhai. Add a few mince balls at a time and fry to a light brown color. Drain and keep aside.
4. Heat 3 table spoon of oil in a frying pan or karhai. Fry the vegetables for 3-4 minutes until they are soft but still crisp and Place the vegetables in a bowl and keep aside.
5. Prepare the stock, place the water and spices in a small pan. Brig to boil, reduce the heat and allow to boil for about 15 minutes until about one cup of stock is left. Strain, discard the spices and reserve the stock.
6. Soak the rice in water for half an hour. In another pan boil the rice with 2-3 tsp. of salt and plenty of water . when the rice are 3\4 cooked drain the water. Add 4 table spoon oil or butter and fluff with a fork to prevent the rice to stick each other. Keep rice to one side.
7. Meanwhile, heat the oil or ghee in a heavy based sauce pan and fry the onions for 5-6 minutes until they are soft and transparent. Remove from oil, keep aside and reserve 1\4 cup of oil.
8. In a large pan place 2 inch layer of rice at the bottom, then a layer of meat balls, vegetables and fried onions, repeating this until the meat balls, vegetables and rice have been used up. sprinkle the coriander and green chillies over the top layer of the rice. Pour 1 cup prepared stock and 1\4 cup of oil from the fried onions over the rice. Do not stir. .
9. Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook for 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
7. Once the dish is cooked, leave it covered for a few minutes. Remove the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork.
8. serve with Aalloo Gosht and Raita.