1 medium onion,
skinned and coarsely chopped
1. Prepare the marinade for the chicken. In a blender or food processor blend
the chopped onion, garlic and green chilli to a paste. Mix with 60ml yogurt and salt in a
bowl. Add the chicken, spoon the mixture over it and leave to marinate at
for 4 -5 hours.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. Put the rice in a sieve and wash under a running cold tap until the water runs clear. Drain and put in a heavy sauce pan. Level the rice with a spatula and add just enough water to cover the rice by about 2.5cm. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and all the moisture has completely evaporated.
3. Mix the cooked rice, eggs peas, onion, ginger, almonds and coriander leaves together. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for later use. Stuff the chicken with the rice mixture. Truss the chicken and keep aside.
4. Now prepare the sauce or masala. In a blender or food processor blend the chopped onion, ginger and garlic to a paste.
5. Heat the ghee, add the ground onion mixture, and stirring frequently, fry for 5 -10 minutes to a rich golden color. Add the next 5 ingredients and stirring frequently to prevent the mixture form sticking to the bottom, fry to a rich golden color. At this stage ghee should start to separate from the mixture.
6.Add the salt, ground coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and the poppy seeds. Stirring continuously, fry until the ghee separates again. Add the blanched almonds and green raisins.
7. Combine the plain yogurt with the reserved yogurt marinade and stirring continuously, add a little at a time to onion and spice mixture (Slow addition will prevent the yogurt from curdling). Once all the yogurt has been added, keep on stirring for another few minutes until the ghee separates once again. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
8. Put the stuffed chicken in a deep ovenproof dish.
Cover chicken with the prepared masala and see that it is completely coated.
9. Cover the dish and place in the oven at 180c mark 4. Basting frequently, cook until tender, about 1 hour.
10. Remove the string and transfer the chicken to a heated serving dish, pour the sauce over it and serve at once. Sprinkle with coriander.