1. Soak the dals for several hours, then wash with few changes of water.
2. Place dal, 1\2 cup water, baking powder, salt and chilli powder in a food processor or blender and grind to a smooth thick paste. Add more water if it is difficult to grind, continue grinding, this will incorporate air and make the paste lighter in texture. Leave it to rest for 15 -20 minutes.
3. Place dal mixture in a bowl and fold the remaining dry ingredients in it. The consistency of the batter should be like basin pakora batter. Add little more water if the batter is thick. Keep aside to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Heat oil in a deep fryer or karahi. Test the temperature by dropping a small piece of paste into the hot oil. It should rise to the top at once.
5. Drop carefully a tablespoon full of paste into the hot fat. Fry to a crisp golden colour, turning once or twice, about 5 minutes. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on absorbent kitchen paper. Fry 4-5 pakoras at a time.
6. Sprinkle with chat masala.
7. Serve with Nan, Podinay Ki Chutney and Sweet tamarind chutney