Juicy Chicken Roast
- 1 chicken, 3
1/2 to 4 pounds
1.To make the brine: Combine all brine ingredients,
water, salt, half bunch of thyme, marjoram, peppercorn in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken.
Stir to dissolve the salt.
Cool, then refrigerate until completely cold.
2. Place the chicken breast-side down in the brine. Weight with a plate if necessary to keep the chicken completely dipped in the brine. Refrigerate for at least12 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Remove chicken from brine and allow to air-dry at room temperature.
4. Squeeze 1 of the lemon halves in the cavity, squeeze the other over the skin, then put one lemon half in the cavity with remaining half of the thyme. Brush the chicken with olive oil.
5. Place breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan; roast for 30 minutes. Turn breast-side up and continue roasting until the juices run clear, about 30-35 minutes.
6.Transfer the chicken breast-side down to a platter and let cool for 30 minutes. Discard the lemon and thyme.
7. Carve the chicken into serving pieces and spoon any collected juices over them.
Serve with green salad.