1\4 cup oil
1. Heat oil in a large heavy
based saucepan over medium heat, add onions and
sauté onions for about 5-8 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
2. Add garlic and sauté about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt and 3-4 tablespoons water to prevent from burning. Saute 1 minute.
4. Add ginger and tomatoes and fry for 5-8 minutes, or until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp and oil starts to separate from gravy.
5. Add tamarind and 1cup liquid. Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes over low heat. Add chick peas, garam masala and chaat masala. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Adjust the seasoning with salt and chaat masala. Add additional tamarind, if desire.
7. Garnished with sliced onion and chopped green chillies. Serve with Poori.