- 500 g. lean
|1. Wash dal thoroughly and soak in plenty of water for 3-4 hours.
Drain and wash in few changes of water.
2. Place dal in a large saucepan. Add the mince, onions, ginger, garlic, black cardamoms, cumin seeds, chilli powder, cinnamon stick, black pepper, cloves, salt and water to it.
3. Cook over medium heat for 40-45 minutes until the meat and dal are tender and the water has been completely absorbed. This is very important otherwise kabab will split on frying. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Put the mince in a food processor or chopper and grind to a smooth thick paste which holds its shape.
5. Add coriander leaves and green chilies to the paste and mix well.
6. Break off 2 tablespoons of the mince paste. Wet your palms and place it in the center of your palm. Shape it into a smooth ball and then press it into a smooth flat shape.
7. Heat a heavy based frying pan and add enough oil to just cover the surface. (if there is too much oil, the kebabs will split.
8. Dip the kababs in beaten egg and fry 3-4 kababs at a time to a rich brown color, turning them once. Remove from pan and put them on absorbent kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
9. Serve hot with Pullao, Nan, and Podinay ki Chutney.
10. You can make special Shami Burgers for evening tea.