1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into
small inch pieces
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 250 g. bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Place 1\4 cup sugar, butter, egg yolks
and 1\4 cup water in a large metal bowl. Whisk
2. Set bowl over saucepan of
simmering water; whisk constantly until the mixture is
thick, about 3 minutes.
3. Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
Remove from water.
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks
form. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff but not
5. Fold 1/2 of
the whites into warm chocolate mixture.
Then fold in
remaining egg whites.
6. Spoon chocolate mousse into serving dish and decorate
with whip cream. Chill until set, at least 5 hours or overnight.