- 20 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 150 g. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 100 g. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 225 g. (1 cup) sugar
-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1\2 tsp. salt
- 7 egg yolks
- 4 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 11\2 cup whipped cream
- grated semisweet sweet chocolate for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter spring form pan. Place cookies and butter in food processor, and finely grind, until mixture is evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of the pan to form thin crust. Bake crust 8 minutes. Transfer crust to rack and cool completely.
1. Break both chocolates into small pieces and melt in double broiler, until smooth. Remove from heat and keep aside.
2. Place yolk, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk until well combined. Whisking constantly, add milk in a stream and place the saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, bring milk mixture to a boil and simmer, whisking, until thick, about 11\2 minutes. Whisk in melted chocolate, butter, and vanilla, until smooth.
Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap and cool completely.
Pour filling into crust, cover and chill pie, at least 8 hours or overnight.
Decorate the pie with whipped cream and grated chocolate.