Fish N Chips
1 kg. any white fish
1. Sift flour
and salt together. Add egg yolk,
butter and cream, beat
until smooth. Add water
little at a time, beating well after each addition and put aside
for about 30 minutes.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then carefully fold in the batter.
3. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 375F or in a deep wok, this will give a good depth. For the wok, test the temperature by sprinkling a few drops of batter into the hot oil, they should rise to the surface at once.
4.Toss the fish in flour, then coat with the batter.( If the batter is too thick, add little more water.)
5. Place the fish in the hot oil. Be careful not to splash yourself with hot oil. Fry for few minutes, then carefully turn it over. Fry the fish for about 5-8 minutes to a crisp golden color, ( the time depends on the thickness of the fish). Drain thoroughly and then place on absorbent kitchen papers to absorb excess oil.
Make French Fries:
1. Peel and pat dry the potatoes. Using a large knife cut the potatoes into sticks 1/4 inch wide and about 3 inches long or use French Fries cutter. Dry the potatoes thoroughly with kitchen papers.
2. Heat oil in a deep frying pan to 325°F.
3. Fry the potatoes in batches until lightly colored but not brown, about 4-5 minutes per batch.
4. Remove with a perforated slice to a plate lined with kitchen papers. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
5. Reheat the oil to 375°F. Fry the potatoes in batches until for about 2-3 minutes, until they are golden brown and crisp. Drain on fresh kitchen papers. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with salt.
Serve fish N chips with garlic sauce and ketchup.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.