- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp. bicorbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 125g. butter
- 4 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- currants or icing for decoration
|1. Sift the flour, bicorbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Rub the butter
into the flour until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in suger.
2. Warm the syrup slightly and add with the egg to to the other ingredients.
3. Mix to form a dough and knead until smooth.
4. Divide into two and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 5 mm (1\4inch) thick. Using a gingerbread man cutter, cut out figures and place them on the baking sheets. Decorate with currants for eyes, nose, mouth and buttons down the front of his body. (Alternatively leave plain for decorating with piped icing after baking.) . Bake in the oven at 190C (375F) mark 5 for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Cool slightly, then place on a wire rack.