Italian Fish Stew
- 900g (2 lb)
deseed and chop the tomatoes. Soak the saffron strands in a little boiling water for 30
2. Meanwhile, cut the fish into chunky bite-sized pieces. Peel the prawns.
3. heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the onion, garlic and pimiento and fry gently for 5 minutes.
4. add the tomatoes and anchovies and stir to break them up. Add the grape juice and stock, bring to the boil, lower heat and add the bay leaves and half the basil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
5. Add the firm fish to the tomato mixture, then strain in the saffron water and season to taste. Cook for 10 minutes, then add any delicate-textured fish and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Add the prawns and mussels, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until
the mussels open.