Spaghetti With Spicy Meat
- salt and water
- 1\4 cup oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1\2 kg. lean minced beef
- 1\2 kg. fresh tomatoes
- 2 level tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1\2 level tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. red chili powder (optional)
- 1 (3 oz, 70 g. ) can tomato paste
- pinch dried mixed herbs
- 3\4 litre stock
|1. Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water for
8-10 minutes or until al dente ( tender but still firm to bite).
2. Drain the spaghetti and return to the pan with hot meat sauce. Mix the spaghetti with sauce by lifting and Turing the spaghetti in the sauce with two forks. Never stir or serve the sauce separately. Grated parmesan cheese can be serve separately.
Meat sauce for pasta:
1. Heat oil a medium sized sauce pan. Peel and finely chop the onions, peel the garlic and crush to a puree with a little salt. Add onions to the hot oil, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft but not brown. Stir in the minced beef and the crushed garlic. Continue to fry gently to brown the meat.
2. Scald the tomatoes and peel away the skins. Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Stir the flour, salt, pepper, tomatoes, tomato puree, red chili powder (optional) and mixed herbs into the meat mixture.
4. Add the stock and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 40- 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the sauce sticking and add a little extra stock if necessary. The final consistency should not be too thick. Check seasoning and use as required.
Note: Make the sauce in advance. Adjust the seasoning and keep chilled. Reheat when ready to use.