Trifle With Strawberries And Bananas
-1 1\2 cups full cream milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 1\2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1\2 cup whip cream
- 1 (8 inch) sponge
- 1\2 cup strawberry jam
- 6 tbsp. orange juice
- 4 medium bananas, peeled, cut into thick slices
- juice of half lemon
- 500 g. fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
- Additional strawberries
- additional bananas
- apricot jam
- whipped cream
1. Put milk and vanilla pod in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently until just boiling. Remove from heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk yolk, sugar and flour together in a bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Return milk mixture to pan and whisk over medium heat until custard has thickens and boils. This will take about 5 minutes.
3. Strain into a clean bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface. Chill for about 4 hours or until cold
4. Using electric mixture, beat cream to stiff peaks. Fold cream into cold custard. (Can be prepared 1day ahead.)
To assemble trifle:
1. Cut the cake crosswise in half, sprinkle with orange juice and spread with jam, then sandwich together. Cut the cake sandwich into 3\4 inch wide strips.
2. Arrange enough strips in the base of a glass serving dish. Gently press the strips to fit and allowing jam layer to show at sides. Set a decorative row of strawberries around the side of the bowl then fill in center.
3. Coat banana slices in lemon juice. Arrange half of banana slices atop berries some to show at sides of dish.
4. Spoon half of the custard over bananas, spreading to the sides of the dish. Using back of the spoon press the custard to the edges. Repeat layering with cake berries, banana slices and custard.
5. Arrange remaining cake strips atop custard and press gently. Cover trifle and chill at least 5-8 hours.
7. Halve additional berries. Slice additional bananas. Arrange fruit atop trifle. Brush fruit with sieved apricot jam to glaze. Spoon cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe cream around fruit.